Saturday, February 16, 2008

Washington's Birthday

One February many years ago, Andy, my youngest child,
walked with me to our rural mailbox. The box was empty.

Oh," I said, "I forgot. There'll be no mail today. It's
Washington's Birthday."

Andy's eyes widened. "If he has a party, can we go?"

"Andy," I said, "Washington is dead. He's been dead for
a long, long time."

"Well why does he keep on having birthdays then!"
Andy started back to the house, disappointed.

Well, he doesn't anymore. Doesn't have his own day in
red on the calendar. Now it's Presidents Day. But there
will be no mail, a sort of holiday for me. I won't have to
get to the post office with my book orders packaged and
ready to mail.

Andy will be working as usual. Just another Monday for
him.

No comments:

Post a Comment