Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Tiny But Terrible


The toilet was running and wouldn't stop. I rushed out to turn the water off,
grabbed the railing as I raced down the front steps. And cried out. Felt like
a red hot needle had been jammed into my hand. I went on to the side of the
house and turned off the water, Then came back to see what had stung me.

After I took its picture, I rubbed meat tenderizer into my reddened and
swelling palm. It took most of the pain away and helped prevent further
swelling and itching. Then I looked through my Field Guide to the Insects
of America North of Mexico, by Donald J. Borror and Richard E. White,
the Peterson Field Guide Series, 1970, Boston.

Saddleback Caterpillar (Sibine stimulea). All the time I have spent outdoors
and gardening and around trees and I had never seen one, never even heard
of them. One-inch long and its sting is worse than that of a wasp or yellow
jacket. I found more information on several gardening forums. People have
been stung from just brushing against them. I got an especially painful sting
I guess because I pressed it as I grabbed the rail. Some of the spines on its
back are filled with a poisonous venom. All one has to do is touch those
spines to be stung.

Here are some better pictures. Some of the gardeners, like me, had never
heard of the saddleback. One said it looked like a scottie dog. I think of the
pictures of thoroughbreds draped with cloth and the saddle on top of the
cloth. The adult is a drab little moth with dark fuzzy wings and body. The
larvae supposedly feed on tree leaves. This one must have dropped onto
the railing.

What a strange and beautiful creature. If I hadn't been stung, I might not
have noticed it, for I was so preoccupied with the water problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment