Monday, July 31, 2006

Letter From U.S. to Unknown Iraqui Woman

Iraqui death toll rises above 100 per day, U.N. says
- headline in the New York Times 7/19/06



The vines turn clockwise here, but then
I know other places they run counter,
Depending on location of one's garden,
Depending on proximity to the pole.

How are your vines growing,
Do they blossom just the same,
Do your children run barefoot down the rows,
Have you had enough rain?

Oh. Do you have a garden,
A safe place for you to be,
Is there still a bit of earth free
of blood and pain...?

I prepare my garden harvest,
Set heaping bowls and platters on the table,
And call to those I love the best,
We eat and laugh and eat again.

Now as the earth turns to you another day,
I see you bring to your table bread for all,
But oh. Are there any left now,
Any left to call...



No comments:

Post a Comment